An Epsom salt bath contains magnesium and sulphate, a combination thought to stimulate the body’s detoxification pathways, which then removes the stirred up toxins.
Western culture is also magnesium deficient, accounting for our high rates of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain, digestive issues, stress-related illnesses, chronic fatigue and a host of other ailments.
Changes in agricultural practices and nutrient-deficient soil have attributed to our dietary changes. Plus, our diet includes too much sugar, fat and salt which then expedites the depletion of magnesium in our bodies.
The reason that Epsom baths are stellar for magnesium absorption is that it is not as easily absorbed through the digestive tract.
The proven health benefits from proper magnesium and sulfate levels are listed as follows on the the Epsom Salt Industry Council website:
- Improved heart and circulatory health.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well-being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, and brain tissue.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
🌹Fabulous Bath Recipe🌹
- 2 cups Epsom salts
- 1 cup baking soda
- 2 drops of lavender or ylang ylang essential oil
For the full benefits, Soak for 15-20 minutes so as detoxify, relax and ground.