“We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love!”
❤️🔥Tom Robbins, Author
What is negging?
For the uninitiated, negging is a term used by straight men who study the art of seduction. The notion behind negging is to disarm a woman and knock down her confidence in order to make her more susceptible to a man’s romantic advances, So, through the use of negging as a flirting technique, a man may believe he will successfully pick you up.
Yes, it is as awful as it sounds. Sadly, due to how men and women are programmed as far as love and dating, negging is also highly effective. That doesn’t make it any less repellent. But it does make it something you should be on the lookout for if you’re single and actively on the bar scene.
dating coaches says that negging is a form of emotional manipulation: a person uses emotional manipulation to play off the weakness and insecurities of another in order to make themselves feel better or more powerful.
It’s a mental trick that self-proclaimed “pickup artists” use to get you to sleep with them because they like the charm or appeal to manage the result otherwise.
In a nutshell, they want to have a casual sex with you. To do this, they feed you back-handed compliments or outright insults.
While it sounds counterintuitive, it works by pushing your brain into “prove-them-wrong” mode. You feel challenged, and now suddenly, they’ve got you seeking their approval. Plus, you might even sleep with them to get it!
Such a weird psychological ploy can turn the tables and cause you to pursue him when the truth of the matter is the other way around. Ironically, pickup artists are actually put-down scientists.
Granted, this doesn’t work on most women. Insults are taken as such and drinks will be thrown in faces. But a certain percentage of women, or perhaps a certain personality type, may be very susceptible to these tactics.
If you’re unsure if you’re being negged by a player, look out for the following:
- He opens with an insult. You might see him as being fresh or flirtatious. After all, teasing is the sole form of flirting humans are capable of as children. In reality, however positive teasing only occurs between those who know each other well or feel truly comfortable together. Would you insult a total stranger? Of course not since you don’t know how they would react. But you and your best friend may rib each other a lot in a spirit of love and affection. The insulting opener is about putting him in control of the situation.
- He seems more interested in your friends. The goal here is similar to the insult but also adds jealousy to the mix. His goal is to cause you to think, “Hey, wait a minute, I’m way hotter/funnier/cooler than her! I’ll show him.” He’s daring you to prove it to him.
- He dresses ostentatiously. This isn’t an indication of negging per se, but might be a red flag of the kind of person who will use this tactic. Dressing ridiculously, or “peacocking,” is another tactic in the pickup artist handbook. It appears innocent enough, in that the goal is just to stand out in a crowd and get noticed. Yet, it’s guilt by association in this case due to its use by pickup artists. Basically, seeing someone dressed like Criss Angel isn’t bad, but be on your guard just in case.
- He doesn’t talk the same way to “less attractive” women in the group. For pickup artists, negging is best used on the hottest women on the scale. According to the “player” philosophy, the most attractive women are used to having other people’s approval, and thus they are most susceptible to having it taken from them.
- He’s been bouncing around too many women all night. Again, this is not an indictment on its own but consider it a clear warning bell and be on the lookout for other red flags. Men who adopt an entirely scientific approach to flirtation view it as a numbers game. Once they’ve decided that a woman isn’t falling for their tactic, they move onto the next target.