Garlic Vegan Scampi in White Wine Sauce
Hearts of palm are the ideal stand-in for scallops. They have a similar look when sliced and the briny quality of seafood.
Enjoy this Italian-inspired recipe from The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook. In lieu of white wine, use the same amount of vegetable broth with 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar for an alternative.
What you need
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (14.8 ounce) jar hearts of palm
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 8 ounces linguine noodles
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
What you do
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta to pot and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Slice hearts of palm crosswise into ½-inch slices. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Add hearts of palm and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper. Sear for about 3 minutes, until golden brown. Gently flip each slice over. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper. Sear for another 3 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to plate.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, warm remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Sauté garlic for 2 minutes, then add white wine and simmer for 3 minutes until liquid reduces by half. Add lemon juice and vegetable broth and simmer for 5 more minutes until reduced and glossy. Add cooked pasta, seared hearts of palm, parsley, and crushed red pepper flakes and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast. Sprinkle over pasta and toss everything to combine.
Serve hot and enjoy!